If you are experiencing any of the following severe COVID-19 symptoms, please go to the nearest emergency room or call 911.
- Unusual shortness of breath, unable to catch your breath or speak a full sentence
- Blue lips or face
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Severe dizziness or lightheadedness
Ongoing and Asymptomatic Testing Information
Cal Poly's Ongoing Testing Program offering asymptomatic COVID-19 testing has closed for the summer. For more information on the program visit:
For additional information, visit the Ongoing Campus Testing page, or use the links below to find testing resources off-campus.
Symptomatic Testing Information
If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms or have been exposed to someone who is positive for COVID-19, contact Campus Health and Wellbeing (CHW) at 805-756-1211 to schedule a telehealth appointment. For the health and wellbeing of others, please call first before visiting the campus health center.
Exposure is defined as being in close contact with someone at a distance of less than 6 feet for 15 minutes or longer, including:
- Someone who has COVID-19 and is exhibiting symptoms
- Someone who has no symptoms (asymptomatic) but is confirmed by laboratory testing to be COVID-19 positive
If you are instructed to visit the campus health center, please remember to wear a face covering, stay at least 6 feet apart from others, and wash your hands regularly with soap and water.
Off-Campus Testing Resources
Outside of San Luis Obispo County
If you live outside of the area, please contact your family healthcare provider to determine the testing options available to you.
In addition, you may also have access to testing through a local urgent care facility, pharmacy, or community testing sites in your area. Testing varies from county to county. Check with your local community testing site to see if they offer asymptomatic testing. In addition, verify the average turnaround time for receiving test results, as laboratory processing and reporting times vary greatly.
In San Luis Obispo County
- San Luis Obispo County has several testing locations available. The closest public testing site to Cal Poly is SLO Vets Hall.
- If you have insurance, please have your insurance card available when you register at the county testing sites. You will not be charged a co-pay, but your insurance will be charged. If you don't have insurance, you won't be charged if you choose to use one of the public testing locations in San Luis Obispo County. Testing may not be free at urgent care centers or primary care physicians.
- Please note
- County testing locations are by appointment only. The hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Out-of-state students: Please use your Cal Poly mailing address when registering for an appointment. If you don't have a local mailing address yet, please use 1 Grand Avenue, San Luis Obispo, CA 93407.
Several private companies have been approved to provide ‘self-testing kits’ under Emergency Use Authorizations from the Federal Drug Administration (FDA), including Pixel by LabCorp; Vitagene; Picture by Fulgent Genetics; and LetsGetChecked.
Insurance can be billed for these tests during the online ordering process. Please note that a minimum of 5-6 days should be allowed to cover the time needed to receive the kit in the mail and then to receive results.
IMPORTANT: PCR, NAAT, and RT-PCR are the only tests accepted when submitting off-campus test results.
Local Public Health Guidelines
During the school year, students and their supporters must comply with local public health recommendations in all circumstances to slow the spread of COVID-19. This includes on-campus activities and off-campus activities. Local public health recommendations include:
- Wear a face covering over your nose and mouth when in public
- Stay six feet apart from others
- Stay home when you’re sick
- Avoid in-person gatherings with people who don’t live with you
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water
Questions and Support
Please contact Campus Health and Wellbeing at firstname.lastname@example.org.