Weekly Updates Archive
Week of July 20 - July 26, 2020
- 7/24/20 - Cal Poly Human Resources and Health & Wellbeing shared a message outlining a variety of resources and information for university staff during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please see the July 24 message in Campus Updates for more information.
- 7/20/20 - California State University (CSU) Chancellor Timothy White and President Jeffrey Armstrong updated the campus community on the state of the CSU and university budgets. For more information, see the July 20 messages in Campus Updates.
Week of July 12 - July 19, 2020
- 7/15/20 - San Luis Obispo County announced that the California Department of Public Health has ordered the closure of several industries in the county starting July 16, including gyms, hair salons, other personal care services, and places of worship, among others.
- 7/13/20 – San Luis Obispo County announced that the state Department of Public Health has ordered the closure of several industries throughout the state, including indoor and outdoor operations for bars, breweries, pubs and brewpubs.
Week of July 5 - July 11, 2020
- 7/9/20 - Cal Poly's Emergency Operations Center sent a notification that a member of our student community, living off campus in the local community, has tested positive for COVID-19. View the July 9 message in Campus Updates for more information.
- 7/7/20 – Public health officials announced that San Luis Obispo County is expected to end up on the state's COVID-19 watch list after exceeding its case rate criteria over the weekend.
- 7/5/20 – Cal Poly's Emergency Operations Center issued a notification that an on-campus employee tested positive for COVID-19. For more information, view the July 5 message in Campus Updates.
Week of June 28 - July 4, 2020
7/1/20 - The city of San Luis Obispo issued an order requiring bars, nightclubs, breweries, pubs, wine tasting venues and other on-sale alcohol establishments to close no later than 10 p.m. July 2 through July 6. Restaurants are exempt. For more information, visit the city's website.
6/30/20 – Human Resources shared a reminder message with Cal Poly employees regarding the expiration of the CSU Non-Telecommuting Workers Leave (NTWL) program. For more information, view the June 30 message in Campus Updates.
- 6/29/20 – In a message to Cal Poly employees, the Office of the Registrar shared several changes to the summer 2020 and fall 2020 academic calendars. View the complete June 29 message in Campus Updates.
Week of June 21 - June 27, 2020
6/24/20 – President Armstrong announced Cal Poly's schedule for fall quarter, including an update on in-person courses and information about SLO Days, WOW and winter commencement. Please see the June 24 message in Campus Updates for more information.
6/24/20 - President Armstrong announced the launch of the student COVID-19 Virtual Transition Survey. Students are asked to complete the survey by July 2. For more information, see the June 24 message in Campus Updates.
6/24/20 - Cal Poly posted an overview of when face coverings should be used on campus. The California Department of Public Health has mandated that people must wear face coverings when outside their homes in specific circumstances. Visit the Prevention page for more information.
Week of June 14 - June 20, 2020
- 6/18/20 – The California Department of Public Health issued a statewide mandate requiring all Californians to wear face coverings in public to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- 6/16/20 – The state health department released updated guidance for activities protected by the First Amendment, including protests, religious services, cultural ceremonies and more. Activities taking place outdoors will no longer have an attendance restriction, as long as strict physical distancing measures are observed.
Week of June 7 - June 13, 2020
- 6/12/20 – Academic Affairs announced it is delaying the release of the fall schedule of classes and the start of fall registration until June 29 in order to respond to changes requested by the CSU Chancellor’s Office. For more information, see the June 12 message in Campus Updates.
- 6/9/20 – The County of San Luis Obispo announced that it has reviewed and approved guidance from state health officials to reopen several business sectors no sooner than Friday, June 12. Approved sectors include day camps, movie theaters, campgrounds, RV Parks and more. Visit emergencyslo.org for additional information on the county's reopening plan.
- 6/8/20 – President Armstrong announced the launch of the COVID-19 Virtual Transition Survey for faculty and staff. The survey is open through June 23 and seeks to learn more about Cal Poly employees' transition to virtual work and instruction during the spring quarter. See the June 8 message in Campus Updates for more information.
Week of May 30 - June 6, 2020
- 6/5/20 – The Cal Poly International Center has suspended all fall 2020 study abroad programs that operate entirely abroad, effective immediately. All fall 2020 study abroad and internship programs that are offered entirely virtually will be allowed to proceed. For more information, visit the International Center website.
- 6/4/20 – President Armstrong shared a campuswide message in support of students, faculty, staff and other community members participating in local peaceful protests. Please see the June 4 message in Campus Updates.
- 6/4/20 – Academic Affairs announced it has delayed publishing the fall schedule of classes until next week due to pending CSU approval of limited in-person class offerings. Please see the June 4 message in Campus Updates.
- 6/4/20 – The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently issued a statement warning college students of ongoing COVID-19 phishing scams. Visit the FTC website to read the statement in its entirety.
- 6/3/20 – Interim Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Mary Pedersen and the college deans shared a message of support and guidance on finals to all students. Please see the June 3 message in Campus Updates.
- 6/3/20 – Cal Poly Commencement launched its new Spring Commencement 2020 page, featuring information on regalia, gifts and memorabilia; signs, social media graphics and other downloadable content; and additional alumni and career resources.
- 5/30/20 – President Armstrong and other cabinet leaders shared a campuswide message regarding the death of George Floyd and the ongoing nationwide protests. Please see the May 30 message in Campus Updates.
- 5/30/20 – New Student and Transition Programs announced that SLO Days orientation programming will be offered in an entirely virtual format this summer. Please see the May 29 message in Campus Updates.
Week of May 23-29, 2020
- 5/27/20 – Cal Poly Human Resources provided an update to the campus community on the state budget, emergency pay provisions and teleworking.
Week of May 16-22, 2020
5/20/20 - San Luis Obispo County has received approval to move fully into stage 2 of California's Resilience Roadmap. The news comes after the county issued a press release on May 18 to announce that it has met the state's variance criteria for stage 2.
- 5/19/20 - University Housing seeks Cal Poly employees to assist students who are returning to campus to retrieve belongings from campus apartments and dormitories. Cal Poly employees can sign up for a shift here. For additional information, visit the University Housing website.
- 5/18/20 - President Armstrong participated in the San Luis Obispo County Department of Public Health's media briefing to discuss planning for the Fall 2020 term.
Week of May 9-15, 2020
- 5/13/20 - Message from President Armstrong regarding fall term updates
- 5/12/20 - CSU announces fall courses will be primarily virtual
- 5/12/20 - Temporary paid administrative leave updates